PebblePad: Supporting work integrated learning and placements Student-Centred Activity - read, consider and design
Last updated on 21/02/2020
You must be signed in to access this function1
Do you have a cohort of students who go on placement or undertake Work Integrated Learning (WIL)?
Did you reply yes? PebblePad can provide you, your students and placement supervisors with an online space to record placement details, supervision notes, log activities and complete reviews.
How can PebblePad support Placement Portfolio?
PebblePad offers a number of exciting benefits for both student and teaching teams, as well as contributing to institutional goals.
Benefits for students include the ability to...
- Access scaffolded support & learning materials in a placement context
- Record placement experiences online or offline
- Collect and store evidence of experiences
- Create rich portfolios showcasing skills
- Keep placement reflections in one place for synthesis of learning
- Record placement achievements against learning objectives or professional competencies
- Get real-time feedback from placement supervisors
- Report on placement experiences to placement coordinator through private reflections
Benefits for the teaching team include the ability to...
- Manage dispersed cohorts through a central location
- Allow external supervisors to access student reflections
- Allow feedback loop between student/supervisor/coordinator in real time
- Evaluate supervisor feedback and involvement
- View placement achievements and resources from remote students
- Gather valuable data on learning goals, skills evidence and capabilities on placement
- Placement paperwork can be kept in an ongoing workbook, no need for it to be re-entered or re-submitted
Benefits for the institution...
- WIL and placements can be managed through a central location including logistics information sharing, data gathering, and information on placement supervisors.
- Placement supervisors see the value they are providing to the cohort through the direct involvement in reflection evaluation and skills sign-off.
- External supervisors to feel connected to the teaching and learning process.
- It is a simple process to grant external supervisors access to student work.
Examples of PebblePad in Action Placement Portfolio
The following are real-life Griffith examples of academics using PebblePad to enhance the use of Placement Portfolios for students, supervisors and placement support coordinators.
- Editing and re-purposing existing resources placement journal, or reflective templates and possible use
- Creating a placement workbook for placement information to be collected
- Length/term of placement and how to structure the workbook
- Assessor fields built into resources so assessors can comment on the resource pages
- Using Activity Logs and setting points/hours criteria based on placement requirements
- Data needs - reports can be run on evidence, set up workbooks/templates with data gathering in mind
- By reviewing Faculty Sparks from your peers relating their use of PebblePad
- By attending PebblePad workshops
- Watch our webinar: Using PebblePad to Support Work Integrated Learning and Placements (recorded Thursday 14th June), with Priscilla Trahar and Dr Lana Mitchell)
Consider collaborating with the Program Director and other Course Convenors to implement a Program-wide approach to the use of PebblePad. While this is not necessary, PebblePad allows students to access the content and activities over the length of their program.
Watch the recordings of Paul Duvall from the Univesity of Liverpool, when he presented the use of PebblePad in their Medical School.
Consider conducting research related to your use of PebblePad for publication in discipline-specific journals or those with a higher education focus.
Contact your school's Learning and Teaching Consultants.
Self-help user guides and videos are available at on Griffith’s PebblePad Help site.
Pebblepad (Fact sheet). Getting Started with VLE tools and the Course Design Standards.
Pebblepad (Module). Getting Started with VLE tools and the Course Design Standards.
For technical support using PebblePad at Griffith, contact the IT Support Centre (email@example.com or x55555).
PebblePad also has a WIL Special Interest Group (SIG) who meet regularly to allow members to share their experiences and practice. To find out more, join the PebblePad Google Group.
© 2021 Griffith University.
The Griffith material on this web page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial International License (CC BY-NC 4.0). This licence does not extend to any underlying software, nor any non-Griffith images used under permission or commercial licence (as indicated). Materials linked to from this web page are subject to separate copyright conditions.
PebblePad: Supporting work integrated learning and placements. Retrieved from https://app.secure.griffith.edu.au/exlnt/entry/6445/view(2020).