The 34th annual Gold Coast Science Competition aims to raise the profile of STEM in our community and encourages students to demonstrate their STEM abilities by entering a project into one of five categories. The competition is the largest of its type in Queensland and the competition is fierce with over 500 entries received in 2019.
-Stimulate interest in science and provide a valuable science experience to students
-Students get to pursue an independent project of their choice
-Provides an opportunity for students to showcase their high-quality work to an audience greater than their classroom teacher
-An opportunity to provide recognition to quality student work
-Serve as a challenging, extracurricular assignment that allows students to investigate a scientific problem that interests them
-Importance for teachers in the joy of seeing their students do well beyond the classroom
-Creates a competitive spirit amongst students to strive towards continual improvement.
1. Scientific Investigations
2. Engineering & Technology Projects
3. Classified Collections
4. Communicating Science
5. Environmental Action Project
Registration is open to divisions from Prep to Year 12 with the below divisions:
-Years 1 and 2
-Years 3 and 4
-Years 5 and 6
-Years 7 and 8
-Year 9 and 10
-Years 11 and 12
Requirements of Entry:
1. Each entry must include a statement from teacher confirming the entry is 100% the student's work.
2. Schools registering entries are to supply at least one judge for the judging at the Queensland Academy for Health Sciences on Monday 7 September (4pm - 6.30pm). You may park in the QAHS carpark for the judging process.
3 .$5.00 per entry - An invoice will be sent to schools once the competition has completed.
For more information:
The downloadable information booklet from 2019 will provide worthwhile information about the competition and guidelines for each category.
Registrations will open in Term 3.
If you'd like to enquire please email firstname.lastname@example.org